I'm 60ish, so what?

It's all about me................

Monday, October 5, 2009

OK - now, where were we?

Oh yes - the last time we spoke I had seen this incredibly gorgeous hunk of a man at Target and then there was that other guy with the full body wax kit.  And - don't forget about my floor.   Remember how the floor in my kitchen is glued down and the idiots that installed it didn't fix the underfloor correctly, blah, blah, blah?  Well - that was 8 months ago.  Can I just say that I still don't have my new kitchen floor.  The thing is, with the weight that I have gained - I am really sinking in right around the refrigerator part of the floor.  I am not kidding.  This will all resolve in November - and I will photograph the entire job for those of you who give two hoots about it.

Now - for the rest of the year.  It basically sucked.

This past weekend, however, was great!  We went to beautiful daughter's house in Baltimore and while we were there we got to see our granddaughter's soccer game, go to a pumpkin patch, Ralphy went down a huge slide on a feedsack and scraped his entire can through the mud, we went on a Cub Scout outing to the park where we hiked and Ralphy and grandson biked.  Baby grandson caught a fish.  We went back home where I promptly scarfed two beers.  I can't believe how much energy it takes just to even tag along on these trips.  Good Lord - my feet are still aching and we had so much to eat there that I have to double up on my Metamucil.  You do remember that Metamucil is my best friend?

We just arrived back home and I have enough time to wash the underwear, throw it back in the suitcase and go to the airport on Wednesday morning!  We are going to visit our other two grandsons in Atlanta and to see their new house.  Then - next Friday we leave for Virginia.  I am going to be sprouting a fricking money tree here soon just to replenish our stash.

More on Atlanta later.

So, how about a new recipe for you?  Have you made this stuff called Pasta Vecchia Napoli?  Don't be scared.  I will walk you through it and you will thank me every day for the rest of your life.

 Ready??

2 T. olive oil
6 ounces smoked pancetta, diced (or, I used a thicker sliced Bavarian ham - it is not so costly, or some nice thick smoked bacon)
1/4 C. finally chopped onions
1 whole medium zucchini - cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 whole garlic cloves - minced
28 ounce can of tomato puree
1/4 C. chopped fresh basil (this is precisely why I have an herb garden)
salt and pepper
1/4 C. chopped fresh parsley (oh, yeah!)
1/3 C. heavy cream
1 pound pasta (I used fettuccine)
1/3 C. grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (or, just not the stuff in the plastic shake thing)

Heat oil and add the pancetta.  Cook until just kinda brown and beginning to crisp up.  Add the onions until soft (the onions, not you).  Add the zucchini and cook until tender crisp.  Next - add the garlic and cook a minute or two.  Then, add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.  Cook for 10 minutes or so.  Add the cream, mix and keep hot over low heat.

Cook the pasta, drain, add sauce fresh parsley.  Sprinkle cheese.  Pass out.


I will be back next Monday!  Try this recipe and let me know how you like it!

Love


1 Comments:

  • At October 7, 2009 at 9:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    First of all, I want a picture of baby grandson catching a fish!
    Secondly, your recipe sounds great, but I'm going to try it with Pam in my non-stick wok and use skim milk instead of cream, for a low-fat version. Don't hate me! The diet I'm on has affected my brain. I'll let you know.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home