I'm 60ish, so what?

It's all about me................

Monday, October 12, 2009

I am just wondering....

what the young kids of today know about Christopher Columbus?  Have they every heard of him?  Do they care?  Do they know the names of the three small ships that he commanded to the shores of the Americas in 1492?  I doubt it.  Have they every heard of Ponce de Leon?  The first European to set foot in Florida in the 1500's?  What about Vasco?  Does anyone give a shit?  I highly doubt it.  

Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492.  Us "older folks" know that.  We know the names of the ships - it was pounded into us in history classes.  Do you know that he was a mean SOB?  He and his brothers were responsible for many atrocities towards his prisoners.  He really ordered some nasty deeds.  Actually, I don't even know why I am going into this info.

My point is that Columbus Day, which is always celebrated on the second Monday of October in the United States, is a day in which Mattress Warehouse has it's sale of the year.  Kohls had another Grand Opening sale.  Halloween costumes and decorations are in full view in every discount and grocery store.

Why isn't there school today?  The kids don't even know what the day means?  So, if they don't know or care then why do I have to go without getting my mail?  Can someone explain this to me?  Isn't this "holiday" getting a little old?  Some mean bastard died 600 years ago and I don't get my mail.  This steams me.

On a very happy note - guess what?  I have a new camera!!!  It is a Nikon D40 with the works.  Two lenses, battery, battery charger, really nice case, lens covers, USB cords - everything I could possibly hope for.  And - the kicker is that I have a macro lens from my 13 year-old Nikon that fits this camera!!!  Can life be this good?  

On top of THAT, I have signed up for a Digital Photography class at our local community college and it starts - tomorrow!!  I am scared!  I have to bring everything that I have here so that we can take lots of photos, critique them, learn the camera settings.  I am really nervous!  I will let you know how it goes.

On a very, very, very happy note, we spent the last two weekends visiting five of our grandchildren.  Three in Baltimore and 2 in Atlanta.  What a whirlwind couple of weeks.  We haven't had so much fun in a very long time.  These kids each have such a special quality.  All different.  All delicious.  We love them more than life itself.

What books are you reading?  Let's share!  I am reading "Franklin and Lucy", a book about Franklin Roosevelt and his lady loves.  He was a hound.

Be kind to one another.


Love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home