I'm 60ish, so what?

It's all about me................

Saturday, October 24, 2009

I know, I know, I know.......

I have been very lax about posting.  I promise to do better!

Did anyone see Oprah last Wednesday?  It was a very enlightening program for me.  She did a show on women around the world and how some of them are living.  The ones she focused on were from Dubai, Japan, Rio, Copenhagen, and one other that I can't remember.  Anyway, I was most interested in the girls from Copenhagen and how they live there.  The first girl that was featured showed Oprah and us her home, the inside of her fridge, cupboards, etc.  Everything was pretty neutral.  There was nothing out on tables or counters.  Hardly any wall art.  In fact, I can only remember one painting in one hallway.  Everything - clothes, toys, anything and everything - was inside the cupboards with the doors closed.  She and her husband had two children and their room was literally a cave of sorts that you had to crawl up into and then it opened up a bit.  There were two beds made of just a wooden frame attached towards the top of the wall and one below, kinda like bunks.  There were just a few toys in the corner.  That's it.  The fridge contained milk, fruit, and meat.  Period.  No crap.  This was a very lovely home that was sparsely furnished.  The family's belief is less space, less things, more life.

Repeat after me............LESS SPACE, LESS THINGS, MORE LIFE.

Isn't that beautiful?  Do some deep breathing exercise with that thought.

Just to compare, Oprah went to another house which was pretty much the same.  Of course, most women there are tall and blond which really was aggravating.  One-third of the folks there ride their bikes everywhere - work, shopping, school, wherever.  There is hardly any poverty because the government takes care of its' people.  Their health care is paid.  If you lose your job, the government pays you 90% of your wages up to four years - and helps you find a job!!!  The government PAYS $500.00 a month to folks that go to college. There is very little crime and sexual crimes are practically unheard of. 

The government wants its' citizens to focus on health, family, and the environment. The people of Copenhagen are supposedly the "happiest" of all people.  Their work days are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00-5:00 p.m.  Period.  No nights shifts to eff up the family life.  Everyone earns about the same salary so there is not much of a lower class.  They work hard, they take care of their families.  They have very good health care, clean air, fresh food, no crime.

Folks - shouldn't we be ashamed of what's going on here?  Insurmountable poverty, a crime rate that is astounding, children and mothers with no health coverage.  Kids with no respect for their parents or teachers, or any sense of consequence.  Guns, drugs, children being murdered.  It's like nobody gives a shit.

Whew - I'm glad I got that out!  It really gets to be nerve wracking, doesn't it?  What we need is people actually helping people.  People caring, giving, doing the right thing.  Parents actually teaching their children how to live.  Families actually being what families are supposed to be.

Now I am all upset.  Tomorrow I promise to have an ass-kicking cake recipe.

Love

1 Comments:

  • At October 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Now I'm all upset too! Good thoughts though. I wonder what the history of this lifestyle and government is? Might be interesting to investigate.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home