I'm 60ish, so what?

It's all about me................

Friday, November 13, 2009

Did someone say Belgium?

I guess I failed to mention that our gorgeous daughter and family are moving!  To - of all the places that you could ever think of - Belgium!  Come to think of it - who the hell ever moves to Belgium?  I never heard of such a thing.

Anyway - that's where they are going.  And soon!  As soon as school is out for the year they will all be leaving.  Two parents, 4 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cars - just with a snap of the fingers.  Click!  They're gone.  Our society has become so mobile that this will be a piece of cake.  Or, should I say, a big piece of Belgian chocolate. 

At first, I thought they were kidding.  They have sung this song before.  This time the deal was done before we even knew.  I was so surprised!  Very happy, but very surprised.  I think I am most happy for the grandchildren who will be able to experience things that not a lot of kids can experience.  I mean, can you even fricking imagine getting on a train and going 2 hours or so for lunch in Paris?  Who can even come to grips with that thought?  Not me, that's for sure. 

Who can imagine taking a short ride to Germany - just for something to do?  Taking a couple hour train ride to Amsterdam to see flowers or eat more chocolate?  Wait - do they have chocolate too?

I wonder what kind of food they have in Amsterdam?  Moose?  I have to look that up.  Do they even have a moose?  Look at all the stuff that the average person doesn't know.  I wonder how the coffee is in Belgium.  How can you have a piece of Belgian chocolate without a nice, big, fresh and fab cup of Joe?  Good coffee is my life.  I would rather DIE of thirst than drink a cup of coffee that is over 30 minutes old.  And, believe me - I know.  I can sniff it out, brother.  Or sister.  I cannot be fooled.

Man - I got going on that coffee thing.  I have to calm myself.  Back to daughter...... we talk on the phone probably an average of three times a day.  This is going to be a problem.  A huge problem.  How will I know things when they happen?  How will I immediately know the kids' soccer scores and when they have band practice?   How will I know immediately when they get an "A" on a math test?  You see, now the kids call and tell me these things practically while they are happening.  I am in that loop.  Ya know which loop I mean?  When your grandchildren think enough of you to call you on the phone three states away and tell you that they scored the only goal in the game, or got a very hard earned "A" on the test.  Or when one of them is chosen to show the moves at the dance class.  I am in that loop.  I like my loop.  It is going to be painfully hard to give up my loop.

We, of course, will have the web cams.  This is OK if you want to talk for a short period of time.  But daughter and I talk.  And talk.  And talk.  About whatever.  About nothing.  About everything.  About life.

I have to stop now.  I have pain in my loop.

Love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home