I'm 60ish, so what?

It's all about me................

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Who give a Flying Fig??

I gave them plenty as our birthday club actually went to The Flying Fig in Ohio City on the west side of Cleveland.  A little pricey but, Oh, what you pay for deliciousness!

This was the second time that we have visited this restaurant and I was excited to go again.  There are seven folks in our birthday club but only the 5 girls went tonight.  Ralphy is at a football game and the Dickster is drowning in the nor'easter on the coast at a golf resort.  He will be very sorry that he missed this one - especially when he finds out about the organ meat.  But that's another story.

I checked the menu online earlier this week and had my heart set on the beet salad and I was dying for a big slab of meat.  When I went to pick up the other girls I was reminded that this place doesn't have a big slab of meat and that the last time we were there I had the duck.  WTF?  I never ate a duck in my life.  This is what happens to "older adults".  

Anyway - I will get to my point - if I can remember what the point is.  OH YEAH!  The beets.  We are promptly seated by the short guy with the tattoos and were given a drink menu.  My friend, Suz, and I always get a wine with our dinner.  The others drink Diet Coke and iced tea.  Can you even imagine?  My wine came and it was a really nice big glass of wine - just like I like it.  I figure if I am going to pay $12.00 for a glass of wine, somebody better be pouring and pouring and pouring, right?  It was perfect.  The special salad of the day was roasted pumpkin salad.  Hmmmmm, I was curious.  Roasted pumpkin, lentils, frisee, with a raspberry vinaigrette.  I ordered that instead of the beet.  

You have to be holding on to something before I can tell you about the entree.  Are you ready?  

Braised short ribs
horseradish potato puree
and some ordinary green beans


You are holding on because of the short ribs.  Killer.  Tender as all get out and, oh, so delicious.  Perfectly done and nicely portioned.   The horseradish potatos were luscious and nicely presented.  The green beans were non descriptive.  Now - about the salad.  The pumpkin was very good.  Then, they put about 1 cup of freaking lentils in this small dish.  I don't mind a lentil or two - don't get me wrong.  But a cup of lentils?  This just took my 60ish-year-old innards up about 10 years.   

Now - since you know all about that and really don't care, I will tell you my reason for telling you in the first place.  Dessert!  Guess what The Flying Fig restaurant has for dessert?????

FIG ICE CREAM!!

Yes, yes, yes!!  You haven't LIVED until you have had the creamy, dreamy, fig ice cream swirling around on your tongue.  I am drooling just writing this.  I'm telling you, girls - it is TOO DIE FOR!  If you ever have a chance to try some - get the vat.  You won't regret it.  The fig ice cream was worth the price of the entire dinner - no lie.

Don't say that I never let you in on these things.

Love 


 



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home